VARIOUS ARTISTS - SUBURBAN ANNIHALATION[THE CALIFORNIA HARDCORE EXPLOSION FROM THE CITY TO THE BEACH 1978-1983]
Format: Compact Disc
Futurismo present their new anthology series: Altered Vision, beginning with SUBURBAN ANNIHILATION The California Hardcore Explosion / From The City To The Beach: 1978-1983.
This aggressive collection draws from California's rich history of punk, more specifically hardcore: a new sound that eschewed melody for intensity, a sound that took punk harder and faster, a sound intrinsically American. Whilst hardcore was also burning over on the East Coast, it was in California that it had ignited and sprawled, a sonic punch in the face that raged socio-political disdain and total abandonment for commercialism, fuelled by a crumbling American Dream and the collapse of family values.
Suburban Annihilation takes you from the major cities, to the coastal towns, to the SoCal suburbs, showcasing some the most important bands of the West Coast. Blasting off with the Adolescents ‘I Hate Children', it heads from the year zero of Middle Class's ‘Out Of Vogue' to the surf punk of Agent Orange's ‘Bloodstains', from the blues tinged outlaw of The Gun Club's ‘She's Like Heroin to Me' to the classic anti-anthems: ‘Live Fast Die Young' by the Circle Jerks, lifted from their seminal Group Sex album, and the hardcore staple ‘California Über Alles' by the Dead Kennedys. Also present are so many other bands integral to the era: T.S.O.L, Wasted Youth, Germs, Social Distortion, Suicidal Tendencies, Negative Trend, Flipper and many more.
Though the music was designed to repel, this historical document has been lovingly designed to remind us that this genre created some of the most immediate and acutely-realised music ever produced. Making this collection of choice cuts essential for long-time fans of hardcore and punk, just as those new and inquisitive about one of the most angry and pissed off genres to have given birth in America.
This 2xLP comes in a choice of limited edition coloured vinyl, it has a tracklist co-curated by Henry Rollins, it contains liner notes by Lisa Fancher of Frontier, a bio by award winning author Benjamin Myers, and contains a booklet featuring an array of images by the legendary punk photographer Edward Colver.
1. ADOLESCENTS - I Hate Children
2. MIDDLE CLASS - Out Of Vogue
3. AGENT ORANGE - Bloodstains
4. DEAD KENNEDYS - Chemical Warfare
5. SIMPLETONES - I Like Drugs
6. SUICIDAL TENDENCIES - Fascist Pig
7. T.S.O.L. - Abolish Government/Silent Majority
8. CIRCLE JERKS - Beverly Hills
9. WASTED YOUTH - Fuck Authority
10. THE GUN CLUB - She's Like Heroin To Me
11. REDD KROSS - Burn Out
12. CHINA WHITE - Live In Your Eyes
13. CIRCLE JERKS - Live Fast Die Young
14. NEGATIVE TREND - How Ya Feeling?
15. EDDIE AND THE SUBTITLES - American Society
16. CHANNEL 3 - Manzanar
17. FLIPPER - Ha Ha Ha
18. RIKK AGNEW O.C. - Life
19. SOCIAL DISTORTION - Playpen
20. DEAD KENNEDYS - California Über Alles
21. SHATTERED FAITH - I Love America
22. THE WEIRDOS - Helium Bar
23. MIDDLE CLASS - Insurgence
24. GERMS - Communist Eyes
25. ADOLESCENTS - Kids Of The Black Hole